Live-tweeting has become the norm for many people and companies looking to join the conversation on events like the Oscars with other enthusiasts to share their thoughts and find out behind-the-scenes news. The following are several ways that companies without a massive marketing budget can reach those viewers:
1) Live-tweet an event for which you can provide relevant, unanticipated background information. If you are live-tweeting a runway show plan to have relevant, insider information about the designer, models, fashion collection, history of the show, the press covering the show, history of the show’s press coverage, and extraordinary attendees (among other things).
2) Setup a HootSuite dashboard with columns for relevant hashtags, keywords, and Twitter handles. Do not expect to be the only one live-tweeting the event; or even the most knowledgeable. Set up a dashboard prior to the event and make it your driver’s seat. From this position you’ll be able to engage in the Twitter-sphere with ease.
3) Re-tweet and converse, via Twitter, with others live-tweeting the same event. Find out the hashtags that are going to be used in the conversations surrounding the event to find others talking about it. Create conversations by re-tweeting and mentioning them; they too are looking for other people with interesting thoughts and knowledge about the show.
4) Create interesting, relevant content for the audience to view during commercial breaks. Video works the best, especially if it’s short and pushed out during a commercial break. It will be an opportune moment to catch the audience attention as they will be looking for a distraction.
5) Target an event that is especially topical. It’s much easier to gain exposure when focusing on an event that people are already talking, and tweeting, about. If there is already a trending topic or hashtag for the event use it in your tweets; it will be something people are searching for on Twitter already.
6) Engage in social media promotion leading up to the event. The tech-savvy crowd is going to be your best bet for an audience, so look to reach them through several mediums: Featured Videos on YouTube for relevant keywords, Facebook Ads, and Promoted Tweets for relevant, trendy search terms. Do not bother starting these promotions more than a week in advance; people’s attention spans and memory are not what they used to be.