Retargeting Ads for Spas
A Free Guide
Introduction to Retargeting
Retargeting (also called remarketing) is a tactic of advertising to a person through banner ads if they visit your landing page or website without converting. These ads are run through multiple ad networks (including the Google Display Network, OpenX and others). Retargeting tools like Wishpond’s utilizes all of them to allow you to access just about every banner ad on the web. In fact, the technology we use filters out banner ads on websites that have a reputation for click-abuse, click-fraud, or low click-through rates.
All this combines to give you the best possible chance of regaining lost leads, and advertising to people who visit your spa’s landing page but don’t convert.
Why do people drop off in the first place?
There are many reasons for this. The one that I see the most is that people on the internet like to browse multiple options before choosing one (and this is definitely true of spas). They spend a few days looking over different options multiple times before choosing one. So just because they leave your landing page, it doesn’t mean they aren’t interested in you or don’t like what you have to offer. It just means that they want to compare a few options first.
But in that browsing/comparison stage, it’s easy for a person to forget about your spa or even just the name or website for it. This makes it nearly impossible for them to come back to you to complete their purchase.
If you’re current landing page is converting traffic at only 2-3%, don’t be concerned, this is normal. It also means that unless you use retargeting, 98% of visitors to your website don’t return.
How it works:
- Your site traffic enters at the top of your sales funnel
- For whatever reason, that traffic decides to jump out the side of your funnel
- Without a retargeting strategy you lose that traffic, maybe forever
- With retargeting and the banner ads however, that traffic doesn’t get too far before being retargeting
- Your lost lead is recaptured and brought back into their own sales funnel
With banner ads, you know you’re doing everything you can to ensure your escaped leads haven’t disappeared permanently.
Retargeting with banner ads is available through several excellent 3rd party software providers around the web, including Wishpond. These providers give you and your business a pixel…
- You place this pixel (it’s a snippet of coding, also called a tag) within your website’s code
- Any time an internet user finds their way to your website (from an ad, a Google search, your social media profile, etc) but then bounces before converting, they’ll trigger the tag you placed
- That tag latches onto their browser as a ‘cookie’ (imagine it like a piece of gum they’ve stepped on)
- Your retargeting software can then ‘see’ them as they move around the web
- Over a million sites on the internet are part of Google’s Display Network. When your bounced traffic heads over to one of these sites your business’ ad will appear (and only for that individual)
Advanced Tips: Elements and Examples of High-converting Retargeting Campaigns
Retargeting ads aren’t the same as normal ads. First of all, the people that see them are, by definition, already familiar with your brand. That said, there are two approaches to retargeting ads:
- Brand Awareness Ads
- Re-Engagement Ads
As I mentioned above, most people who bounce from your spa’s landing page do so because they’re looking around, checking out your competition before making their decision.
Because of this, sometimes all you need is a little nudge – making your brand more visible than your competitors.
When creating a brand awareness ad, I recommend you make your spa’s name, logo, or recognizable image the focus of the ad. This ensures the people that see it aren’t confused who you are. Having a recognizable image also helps your ad to be visible on the page it’s shown.
An example of a brand awareness retargeting ad:
The focus of this ad is clearly the image and the brand name – reminding retargeted traffic they were interested in the spa previously. A simple USP (like an award won or a treatment exclusive to your spa) can also be effective. This reminds them of your business, and also reminds them of what makes your business unique and worthy.
Re-engagement ads, on the other hand, are all about communicating more value than your competitor. Whether this is done through an offer, discount, or unique selling proposition is entirely up to your business. Test out the performance of different ad formats for yourself, and watch your analytics within your retargeting tool.
An example of a re-engagement retargeting ad:
The red and white of this re-engagement ad is great for grabbing the eye of internet users. Again, the name of the spa is prominent, but no more prominent, necessarily, than the deal offered.
I’d recommend running a retargeting ad like the above to your website traffic who bounced off your pricing page, as they’ve probably done so because your services were too expensive. Offering 50% off to these bounced leads will increase the chance they return. After all, they’re clearly interested in what you have to offer. Make it affordable for them and get a customer (and, hopefully, a repeat customer at that).
How to Set up Retargeting for your Spa
With the Wishpond Retargeting Tool, we simplify the whole complicated process more than anyone else. We make it easy for you, condensing what can be an overwhelming experience into just five easy steps:
1. Choose your image size (and therefore the look of your ad when it appears on websites as a banner ad)
2. Choose where you want your ad to direct people
If you’re running a retargeting campaign from a Wishpond landing page, it’ll already be set up and outfitted with a retargeting tag – meaning you don’t have to do any coding whatsoever.
In fact, Wishpond is the first and only landing page provider with built-in retargeting software. Not only that, Wishpond’s landing pages track your bounced traffic even if you haven’t paid for retargeting at all, so if you ever do want to recapture your lost leads, your list is ready for you.
3. Provide the URL of the ‘conversion page’ (i.e., the page that people who do convert are directed to). This ensures that your retargeting audience doesn’t keep seeing your ads after they’ve already completed their reservation with your spa.
4. Decide your Retargeting Ad Spend
Wishpond does the heavy lifting for you, bidding and optimizing your retargeting campaign in the background, so all you have to to do is set your daily budget. The rest is taken care of for you.
If you’re unsure what kind of budget will bring your spa results with retargeting, check out our ‘How Much Should I Spend’ resource:
And, as always, if you have any questions, sign up for a free demo and we can help you out.
Written by James Scherer