How to Track Referrals using Google Analytics
This guide is for seeing the full URL of referral sites (as opposed to just the parent site), which is very useful for your Google Plus SEO needs. This is only for administrative Google Analytics users. If you do not have a Google Analytics account, create one here.
- Go to your Google Analytics account and click on the “Admin” button on the top right.
- Click the name of the site you wish to monitor. To create an account, you had to choose a site to actually analyze. For this example, we’ve used the name “Test”.
- Once you have clicked it, it will take you to another page. Find the “Filters” tab and click on it.
- Click on the “New Filter” button
- Once here, look at the screenshot below and enter the following information.
- Return back to your dashboard and click on the Visitors tab on the left side. Click the “User Defined” button. Note, this may be under the “Custom” folder.
- Click on the “Advanced” link on the right-hand side.
- Create two “Dimension” filters using the button on the bottom left button.
- Name them “google” and “url?sa”.This shows the advanced link, the dimension button, and the naming scheme.
- Apply your changes.
Search Engine Optimization
- Tips to take Advantage of Google Plus for SEO
- Does using Google Plus Increase my Search Ranking
- The Benefits of Authoring your Google Plus Page to Boost SEO
- How Google Plus Changes SEO