Promoted PostsThe newest and generally least expensive Facebook advertising option on Facebook is Promoted Posts. If your Facebook page has at least 400 likes, you can use Promoted Posts to ensure that more of your fans as well as their friends can see your individual status updates. Why You Need Promoted Posts? If people are fans of your page, why do you need to promote your posts for your fans to see them? It’s all thanks to Facebook EdgeRank. Facebook explains it as the way they determine what posts will be seen in the news feed based on how many friends are commenting on the piece, who posted it, and the type of post it is (photo, video, or text only status update). Other sources such as EdgeRank Checker and Econsultancy have posted their own views on how EdgeRank works, including how individuals won’t see posts from a page unless they have engaged with it. How many of your fans will see your posts when you just post them to your wall vs. when you promote them? Over the last few months, I have been measuring a page with around 1,000 likes and found the following.
- Wall posts without Promoted Posts advertising have received an average estimated reach of 50% of the current number of people who have liked the page.
- Wall posts with Promoted Posts advertising have received an estimated reach of 3,000 – 5,000 people including those who have liked the page and their friends.
Sponsored StoriesSponsored Stories, your next option for Facebook advertising, allows you to promote either your Facebook page or individual stories on your page’s wall. How Do Promoted Posts & Sponsored Stories Differ? Here are a few key differences between promoting individual stories on your Facebook page wall with Promoted Posts vs. Sponsored Stories.
- Promoted Posts is only available to pages with 400 or more likes. Sponsored Stories is available to any page with the goal of increasing likes to the page.
- Promoted Posts will only show wall posts to your fans and friends of fans. Sponsored Stories can be shown to anyone, regardless of whether they are fans of your page.
- Promoted Posts offers no targeting options. Sponsored Stories allow you to use advanced targeting options including basic demographics, interests, and more.
- Promoted Posts only help boost visibility for your wall posts. Sponsored Stories can be used to boost visibility to your page and your wall posts.